Jackie & Justin {first look}

Thursday




You've seen them recently, but when I read Jackie and Justin's responses to the First Look, I knew I wanted to share them in a separate post. These two had me from the beginning. I just fell in love with them! When we met a few days before their Big Day, I loved Justin's outlook on everything. He said to me many times, "Its about me and her. That's all that matters." I hope his thoughts tell people that, yes, your wedding day (and the days leading up to it) will be nuts. Even for the most organized person EVER (uh hmmm, Jackie). But when the day comes, if you keep what is most important to you in mind, whether its having a great party, spending time with your family and taking tons of family photos, or really taking those 5 minutes with your soon-to-be and milking them for all their worth, you won't walk away from your big day regretting one thing! :) 

I'll let Justin start! 

"The first look is an untraditional idea. Traditionally, the first time you see your bride is when she is walking down the aisle. Honestly, I was originally a little sad at the thought of ruining that moment by having a first look beforehand. However, I think we definitely made the right decision. The wedding day was pandemonium. I had an idea that week would be crazy, and that day even more crazy, but it was worse than I originally thought. Everybody I know and am related to was in town and all were vying for time with the bride and groom. Since the wedding day was the last day that they would be able to see us, there was an even bigger push by all the guests to spend a little time with us. Dividing my time amongst them, while accomplishing all the tasks that were necessary the day of the wedding was very stressful. I did not want to be rude, and really wanted to see everybody and spend some time with them. Some came from thousands of miles away just to spend one day with us.
I liked the first look for just that reason. It was our intimate moment. I did not have to share the emotions of that minute with anybody but my bride. It was our time. I was even more excited by the fact after our first look, while I was standing at the altar, seeing her walk down the aisle was no less special. It was just as wonderful as it would have been if that was the first time seeing her that day, but it was even better because I got to experience that twice, once during the first look, and once watching her walk to me. I got to enjoy that moment with just my bride, and later I got to share that moment with everybody that I loved who was in attendance. I would recommend it for anybody. Also, we got some wonderful pictures of the first look, because we were able to make it happen in the most photogenic place of the whole venue. – Justin"

Here are my absolute favorite images from the First Look, followed by Jackie's thoughts!










"I knew without a doubt I wanted to do a first look.  I think both of us wanted to make sure that we had time that was just ours that day. With as many weddings as I have been part of in my last job, I watched too many couples get swept away in the reception and never having that moment that was just theirs.  Our wedding was about us and our first look was our moment, just the two of us (and some crazy girl taking pictures). :) Justin and I made it clear to our wedding party that we didn't want any spectators during our first look as well. I did get some resistance on that, but in the end, everyone left us alone.

One of the other reasons I wanted to do a first look was so I could see Justin during a point in the day when I knew my anxiety levels were going to be up! Our wedding was at 7 p.m. and that makes for a long day of hair, makeup, getting ready, and everything else in between. While I spent the whole day completely giddy, I was definitely growing tired.  Seeing Justin in that moment revitalized me and calmed me at the same time. Your other half becomes what you need in the moment you need it, and after our first look I definitely felt ready for the rest of the day. (Until all of my family showed up late for photos, but that's a whole other blog...)

And one of my silly reasons was so I wouldn't cry when I walked down the aisle!  I figured it would help if I had already seen him, which it did.  The emotional stuff was out of the way and I could concentrate on the excitement!

By the time we got to the venue, I was beyond ready to see Justin! I was probably overly excited and the down pour that caused him to be late made me even more anxious!  I just wanted to sneak away and steal a minute with him. I was excited to see him and for him to see me.  I had gone to great lengths hiding my dress from him and was so excited to finally get to show him.  When he finally arrived and was in place I remember riding down the elevator just wanting to run out of it and find him.  He was getting directions on where to look and I knew if I stepped off the elevator he would see me.  I almost shouted to him where to look so we could do this and see each other.  I just wanted to see him!

When the moment finally happened, it was perfect.  He turned, walked up to me, and we just talked and laughed for a minute.  I have no idea what we said to each other, but I remember feeling so happy and so calm.  We just got to hangout for a minute, just us.  We weren't being asked questions or told where to go or what to do, we were just there with one another.  Well except for one interruption by my spying nieces. :) lucky for them, they were super cute!

I think the best part of the first look though was being able to kiss Justin  right before he went down the aisle for our last non married kiss. I'm really happy that I remember the last time I kissed my fiancée and the first time I kissed my husband.

Our first look was awesome and I wouldn't change a thing.  I'm so happy that we did this and had the chance to spend some time with one another before the wedding and reception started.  It was our little perfect piece of the day!

I would also add that for brides hesitant on doing a first look because they don't want to take away from that walking down the aisle moment, do it!  I felt so calm walking down the aisle and wasn't thinking about him seeing me for the first time.  I got to make eye contact with our friends and family that were there, I got to joke with my dad, and was able to take in every detail from the ceremony.  I still got to see Justin's expression when he saw me the first time and was able to hear him say that I looked beautiful.  I was able to stand there with him and tell him about my dress and hear his thoughts on how he wasn't surprised because he knew I would end up with a big, fluffy dress. :). And then when we met during the ceremony, we just relaxed and enjoyed it.  Seriously, it was perfect!" - Jackie

1 comment:

  1. My favorite line from this is "I'm really happy that I remember the last time I kissed my fiancée and the first time I kissed my husband."
    But we still tried to peek at you guys from upstairs :)

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |