the first look {mine and my love}

Tuesday



The First Look. I am asked by many, many of my clients what a first look is or what all it entails. Many think that it’s just a photographer’s joy because of the timeline, and although it is lovely to help the day progress smoother, it’s by no means solely for the photographer. Instead of telling you why I, as a photographer, think that the First Look is a wonderful part of the day to consider, I want to share my feelings on the First Look as a bride. I also reached out to a few of my 2013 clients and asked them to share their thoughts and feelings on their first look…before and after their big day. Their responses will be a small series for this week!

May 4, 2013 was and will always be the best day of my life. It’s the day that I promised myself to my best friend and a day when we were surrounded by every single person that we love dearly, whether they were there physically, or only in spirit. I knew from the beginning that I wanted to experience a first look with Rob. Not because I was a photographer (well, not entirely) but because I had been a part of many weddings previously hearing the bride and many times, the groom, stating how they “just wanted to see him/her”. Rob is my best friend. He calms me when I’m anxious, nervous or scared. He brings out my silliness and continues to push me in how I think and act. He is my balance. On the biggest and most important day of my life, I wanted to spend it with him! Our ceremony was scheduled for 6:30PM and I didn’t want to go all day without seeing him. I would honestly be a wreck and probably wouldn’t have been able to walk down the aisle. It wasn’t an easy sell. Rob was pretty adamant about not doing a First Look. I bribed him, telling him I’d give him the music, food, cake, alcohol, first dance, ANYTHING as long as I could do the First Look. After so much hesitancy, he knew how much it meant to me and he agreed.

I don’t know if I’ve ever been more on time for anything in my life. Well, we might have been late, but who is looking at a clock on their wedding day? I can remember walking down the hallway of the house and seeing him in the window leading out of the front door. I took a small minute, closed my eyes and reminded myself what today was about. He and I. Our love and our lives together. I’m a moosh ball. I cry at absolutely everything, but I had an overwhelming calm in that moment. The tears I had in my eyes were excitement and happiness and I couldn’t wait to walk out those doors. I’ll let the photos speak for themselves (as I have rambled way too much already). Can I say that the first look was the best decision we made for our wedding? After our photographer, yes. Easily. I think the photos speak volumes for that moment. 

{From Rob}
When Kayla initially told me about the first look, I was 100% against it. For a bride, at least it seemed to me, there are a lot of different things they imagine for their wedding day; their dress, the venue, the details, etc. For me, the one thing I had ever really imagined for my wedding day was watching my bride walk down the aisle and seeing her for the first time. The anticipation, the excitement, all of it.
After some convincing, and seeing how important it was to Kayla, I gave in and I'm very happy I did. Not only was the first look far more intimate than a traditional walk-down-the-aisle-look could be, it also allowed me to spend a majority of the day with my soon-to-be wife! That was hands down the best part. We didn't have to wait all day to see each other and got to spend more of our special day together. We even snuck in a shot before the ceremony! :)
In the end, I cherish the time I spent with Kayla before the ceremony as much if not more than the ceremony itself.


{All photos are copyrighted to Jennie Andrews Photography...the best photographer ever!}












I can't wait to share the thoughts of a few of my other couples over the next couple of days! There are some amazing memories!
Smiles,
Kayla F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |